These are just some of the questions asked during the Sprint Review Meeting. On the last day of the sprint, the team meets with the product owner, customers, and stakeholders to accept completed work and to identify new requirements. After this meeting the team plans the next sprint. In this way, the development team receives the feedback they need to move forward in the design process and provides a stronger and more functional software product.
You may be asking, “well, isn’t this just the same as the Daily Scrum Meeting but with a different name?” The short answer is “no”. One of the guiding principles of Agile is to continually improve and constantly communicate. Reviewing what has been accomplished during the active Sprint is a critical piece to ensuring that the product owner sees what the team has completed. And, in many cases, your customers will understand their additional needs more fully after seeing the demonstrations and will identify and discuss the changes that they want to see.
There will be many times where the product owner will understand additional needs more fully after seeing the demonstrations and will identify and discuss the changes that they want to see. As well, you can take advantage of this time to review any backlog stories and see if priorities have changed.
Here’s a sample agenda for the Sprint Review Meeting. Of course, your team may wish to modify it based on your needs.
- Product Owner identifies what has and has not been done
- The Development Team talks about the Sprint and discusses:
- What went well
- Problems that came up
- How the team solved those problems
- Product Owner discusses current backlog and plans completion dates with various completion rate assumptions
- All attendees discuss previous agenda items and how they could affect what to do next
- All attendees provide vital input into Sprint Retrospective Meeting or next Sprint Planning Meeting
Courtesy of agilemethodology.org, this video series takes you through the lifecycle of a Sprint, from planning through to retrospective. Link to Video 5 - Sprint Review Meeting - and be on the lookout for more videos in this series over the next few weeks.
P.S. Let us know what you think.